Thursday, December 6, 2007

An all-too-brief hello

My lack of blog posting over the last month is absolutely disgraceful. I know. But maybe you'll forgive me once you realize I've been working 55-60 hours per week and have had no internet access anywhere near home! It's been a struggle just to respond to emails, let alone getting all fancy in the blogosphere.

This is going to be short, even though I have a lot of things to tell you. I've seen dozens of lizards, eaten ridiculously fresh mangoes, swam beneath waterfalls and witnessed live crocodiles in a river. Australia's Northern Territory is sure different from the likes of Sydney or Brisbane. It's beautiful yet dangerous; civilized yet wild.

Here are a few pics. The first was from my first day on the job at the concrete factory, where I was responsible for dealing with the pigments used to die concrete blocks. Thankfully, I only had to do this for the first 3-4 days.

And now it's time for some croc action. These suckers are real, wild and will chomp your arm off. Fortunately you view them from a safe distance on the upper-deck of a riverboat. Pretty amazing to see their size and behaviour up close.

OK, and scrap the pics. I just went through the trouble of uploading a whole bunch and now Blogger won't let me post them here for some strange reason. It's always something. . . . Pics will be posted next time then, for sure!

I fly down to Sydney early Friday morning on a red-eye from Darwin. It feels neither like December or anything like Christmas with the current weather (sunny and +34 C . . . this is the lovely thing about Darwin. The weather is exactly the same every day: hot, sunny, with the chance of an afternoon or morning thunderstorm. Very predictable and such).

I must jet but another post, and the pics, coming soon.

1 comment:

Slartibartfast said...

A picture is worth 1000 words states the proverb - yet in just 315 words you have sketched us a lovely picture of your NT experiences.

Nevertheless we all look forward to your photos!