Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The countdown

It's a big no-no in journalism circles to start any piece of writing with a cliche. But I've done it before and I'll do it again. Bloody rules be damned.

And so: all good things must come to an end. How's that for insight?

I'm referring, of course, to my time in the Land Down Under. In just 12 more days I'll be jumping on an airplane to Fiji. Three days after that I'll board another plane for Vancouver. Then 14 hours later I'll find myself back in the homeland: Vive le Canada.

I have very mixed feelings about leaving Australia and going back home. I have to admit I've fallen in love with Sydney. It's the most beautiful city I've ever visited, I think. I could see myself living here. Besides, I've been in Australia for almost a full year and there are still so many sights I didn't get to see.

On the other hand, I miss many things about Canada too. It'll be so great to see all the people I love back home again. Reuniting, catching up and trading tales should take at least a few weeks. And another thing, it'll be nice to be around people who talk "normal" all the time. Of course, there is nothing wrong with the way Australians speak. In fact, I've picked up dozens of great words over here. It just gets tiring being the "one with the accent" after awhile. Such is the life of the immigrant, I guess.

Speaking of, I feel this year has taught me a new appreciation for what an immigrant goes through when moving from one country to another. Immigrants deserve a lot of compassion and respect, especially those who don't speak the language of their new country.

As per usual, I'm almost out of time on this internet cafe computer. (God, will it be nice to use a computer at home for as long as I like again!)

I'll have a few more reflections on my trip in the coming days.

That's all for now.

Toodles.

No comments: